Epiduo Gel Treatment
- Combo action acne gel
- Benzoyl Peroxide + Adapalene targets ACNE
- Apply ONCE daily at night for the best results
You need to fill assessment form to purchase this product
Expected delivery: Wednesday 3rd June
What is Epiduo Gel?
Epiduo gel is an effective topical medication used to treat mild and moderate acne. The gel contains two active ingredients that treat acne with two different mechanisms, adapalene 1% and benzoyl peroxide 2.5%.
Adapalene is a retinoid that works against the accumulation of the dead skin cells, preventing the blockade of hair follicles. Benzoyl peroxide has an antimicrobial activity against the bacteria that causes inflammation of the acne spots.
What is Acne?
The majority of people experience acne at some point, however, the severity of it can vary from being mild, moderate or severe.
Acne occurs when the hair follicles become plugged by dead skin cells and excess oil. The activity of specific hormones during puberty plays an important role in the formation of acne spots. These spots appear mainly on the face but may appear on the upper back, chest, and shoulders as well.
Directions for Epiduo Gel
- With your fingertips, apply a small amount of Epiduo gel on clean and dry skin, almost a pea-sized portion is enough.
- Avoid applying Epiduo on cuts, sunburned or eczema-affected skin.
- The duration of treatment with Epiduo gel depends on the severity of the case and the response to the treatment; however, it usually takes several weeks to get a satisfying effect.
- Wash your hands well after applying the gel.
- Epiduo gel may cause photosensitivity, apply it in the evening, and protect your skin with sunscreen.
Don’t use over the counter medications for acne together with Epiduo without asking your doctor, the concomitant use of many acne products causes skin irritation.
During the first weeks of treatment, the appearance of spots may become worse; however, it will improve after that.
Is acne a contagious condition?
No, you can touch or hug a person with acne without any fear to catch acne.
Does repeated washing of my face make acne go away faster?
No, you shouldn’t wash your face several time a day, because it removes all skin oil resulting in
stimulation of sebaceous glands to produce excess oil (aka, worsened acne).
Can stress cause acne?
Yes, stress may be one of the leading causes of acne,and it is also considered one of acne triggers.
What is the best treatment for acne?
Acne should be treated individuallyas severity of cases differ from person to another.
Can certain types of food cause acne?
No, acne is not caused by food.
I started acnetreatment three weeks ago and I see no improvement. Do I need to try another medication?
You have to be more patientas most of acne treatments needs two to three months to work
Causes of ACNE
There is a strong relation between ACNE formation and hormonal changes that occur at puberty. These hormones have two roles in acne. On one hand, they activate specific glands located adjacent to hair follicles under the skin, and this activation causes the glands to produce more an oily material known as “abnormal sebum”. The abnormal serum, in turn, activates certain bacteria that causes inflammation and pus formation.
On the other hand, the hormones thicken the inner lining of the hair follicles causing pores blockade (blockade of the opening of the hair follicles).
ACNE formation factors
Four factors are involved in acne formation:
- The activity of certain hormones at puberty (androgens).
- Excess oil production by the glands under the skin (sebaceous glands).
- Bacteria (a specific type called P. Acnes).
- Blockade of hair follicles by oil and dead skin.
Face, forehead, chest, upper back and shoulders are the most common areas to have acne due to the presence of more sebaceous (oil-producing) glands that are connected to the hair follicles.
Triggers that cause ACNE flare-ups:
- Many women have acne during the first pregnancy trimester.
- Adult women may have acne at certain times due to hormonal changes, they may have flares of acne just before the period.
- Women with polycystic ovary syndrome suffer usually from acne and weight gain.
- Spicy food, chocolate, skim milk and high-carbohydrates food.
- Some cosmetic products of low quality.
Medications that cause ACNE flare-ups:
Many medications aggravate acne, including:
- Antiepileptics (Phenytoin, Carbamazepine and Phenobarbital).
- Oral corticosteroids.
- Anabolic steroids.
- Antidepressants (Lithium)
- Antituberculous drugs (Isoniazid and Rifampicin).
Side effects of Epiduo Gel
Don’t use Epiduo gel if you are allergic to adapalene or benzoyl peroxide.
Some side effects may occur during the first few weeks of treatment, like:
- Worsening of acne
- Skin dryness
- Skin burning
- Skin peeling
These side effects usually decrease by time, if no improvement occurs you must call your doctor.
Contact your GP or pharmacist if you notice any other side effect.
|Ingredients||Clindamycin / Benzoyl Peroxide||Adapalene||Lymecycline|
|Action||Dual action on bacteria; antibiotic and skin shedding||Helps unblock pores and reduce inflammation||Antibiotic kills bacteria|
|Oral or Topical?||Topical||Topical||Oral|
|Directions||Apply thin layer at night after washing.||Apply thin layer at night after washing.||Take ONE capsules DAILY (preferably in the morning)|
Stop using Epiduo if:
Stop using Epiduo gel and seek medical help immediately if you notice any sign of allergic reaction to the product. Shortness of breath, chest tightness, severe dizziness or swelling of lips, tongue, face or throat, are serious signs for an allergic reaction.
Expected delivery: Wednesday 3rd June